Early morning house fire in Riversdale
The Saskatoon Fire Department received a 911 call at 3:53 am on October 25, 2020 reporting a fire in the 600 block of Avenue I South. Dispatched to the scene were three engines, a ladder, a rescue, a fire investigator and the battalion chief.
First arriving firefighters were on scene in 3 minutes, 20 seconds to a duplex. They did not observe any visible flames or smoke, but did smell smoke in the air. An initial report indicated the lone occupant was out of the house.
A crew was assigned to enter the home and search for any occupants to confirm all had evacuated and to seek out the source of the fire. This crew reported heat and smoke upon entering the interior. As this crew proceeded into the house they did confirm there to be no occupants inside while discovering and extinguishing fire in the kitchen.
The fire investigator has completed the on scene examination and confirmed the fire originated in the kitchen, caused by unattended cooking on the stove top. This fire resulted in an estimated $30,000.00 damage.