Become a Lifeguard
Steps to Becoming a Lifeguard
- Lifesaving Society Bronze Medallion
Pre-requisites: 13 years old or Lifesaving Society Bronze Star
- Lifesaving Society Bronze Cross
Pre-requisites: Lifesaving Society Bronze Medallion
- Standard First Aid/CPR-C AED*
Lifesaving Society National Lifeguard Award (NLA)*
Pre- requisites: 15 years old and Standard First-Aid & CPR-C/AED or Aquatic Emergency Care, and Lifesaving Society Bronze Cross
Lifesaving Society Combined Swim for Life & Lifesaving Society Instructor Program*
Pre-requisites: 15 years old and Lifesaving Society Bronze Cross (or higher)
*Courses listed in step 3 can be completed in any order.
Join the team and enjoy the benefits of working as a City of Saskatoon lifeguard:
- A great start into the workforce with competitive pay and a flexible work schedule.
- A free LeisureCard just for you! A LeisureCard provides access to 15 City of Saskatoon leisure facilities including admission to public open times, drop-in fitness and aqua fitness classes.
- A chance to spend the summer months working outdoors.
- A unique variety of work-sites including four indoor aquatic Leisure Centres and four outdoor pools.
- A chance to meet new people and be a part of a team.
- Free re-certification for all employees.
Life as a guard is about variety! One day you might find yourself enjoying the summer sun while watching kids play happily at an outdoor pool. The next day you might be working at an indoor pool as seniors enjoy an aqua fitness class. You might just as easily be instructing a group of preschoolers, who look up at you as the coolest person they know, as they try to get comfortable putting their faces in the water for the very first time.
For lifeguards, the potential is endless, but a workday will typically include:
- Instructing swimming lessons
- Educating people about water safety
- Supervising pool activities and responding to emergencies
- Preparing lesson plans
- Maintaining your training and fitness
We are always accepting applications. For more information, call 306-975-2944 or email .
Click here to watch a short video on becoming a lifeguard.