You are here

Garage fire caused by hot ashes

For immediate release: December 31, 2020 - 1:35pm
20-16520

The Saskatoon Fire Department received a 911 call at 10:33 am this morning reporting a garage on fire in the 200 block of Lake Crescent.  Dispatched to the scene were three engines, a ladder, rescue battalion chief and fire investigator.

The first arriving firefighters observed smoke emitting from a detached garage.  Crews were assigned to bring water to the front of the garage and gain entry.  The interior to the garage contained a significant number of items that contributed to an increased fire load and inhibited crews from easily gaining access to the seat of the fire.

Once the overhead door was opened crews were able to gain access to the interior and extinguish the fire. 

The fire investigator has completed the on-scene examination and has concluded the fire started as a result of improperly disposed woodstove ash.  Damages are estimated at $75,000.00.

The Saskatoon Fire Department reminds all users of wood burning appliances, including fire pits, to be diligent when disposing of ash after a fire as there may be hot embers that can cause unintended fires.