You are here

Outside Fire - Structure Involved - 200 block of Henick Crescent

For immediate release: September 8, 2020 - 7:44pm
20-11549

At approximately 1:34 p.m. on September 8, 2020, the Saskatoon Fire Department received a 911 call reporting a single attached garage on fire in the 200 block of Henick Crescent; the caller reported all three occupants to be out of the attached residential structure but one large dog remained inside. Three fire engines, one rescue unit, one aerial ladder truck, one fire investigation unit, and one battalion chief responded.

Firefighters arrived on scene to find visible flames on the front right exterior corner of the garage. In less than 10 minutes from the time of fire dispatchers receiving the 911 call, fire crews had extinguished the flames and confirmed there to be no further extension inwards. The large dog was located uninjured on the second level of the residential structure and was reunited with its owners.

A fire investigator has identified this fire to be accidental as a result of the careless disposal of smoking materials. Members of the public are advised to dispose of smoking materials in a metal, ceramic, or glass container with a tight-fitting lid and enough sand or water at the bottom to cover the discarded smoking materials. The container should have enough weight that it can not be easily tipped over or moved by weather conditions. Damage has been estimated at about $10,000. Smoking material fires are preventable fires; be sure to properly put it out.