You are here

Western Development Museum Evacuated

For immediate release: July 21, 2019 - 3:53pm
19-08617

At Approximately 1:16 this afternoon, the Saskatoon Fire Department received a 911 call reporting a smell of smoke in the Western Development Museum.

Three fire engines, one heavy rescue unit, one aerial ladder and one battalion chief were dispatched to the incident.

Upon arrival, fire crews noted a burnt electrical smell in the front lobby area of the building. It was quickly determined that an overheated motor on an air handling unit was the cause of the smell. There was also a loss of power to portions of the building.

The museums building officials and representative from City of Saskatoon’s electrical department are presently on scene trying to determine the exact cause of the incident and are working to restore power to the building.

Employees of the Western Development Museum had evacuated all the patrons prior to the fire departments arrival.

There were no injuries as a result of the incident.