2020 Civic Election: Council approves changes to mail-in ballot process
The 2020 Civic Election is November 9, 2020. Eligible voters in Saskatoon will cast their ballot for Mayor, City Councillors and School Board Trustees. Voting safely is our priority. The City’s Election Office will ensure public safety measures are in place for voters and election workers. The Civic Election team will respond accordingly to all current public health orders and COVID-19 directives as issued by the Province.
In an effort to provide a greater number of voting opportunities, encourage voter turnout, and ensure voting safely during the COVID-19 pandemic, additional voting opportunities will be available to Saskatoon residents this fall.
At its special meeting today, City Council received an information report that advises of an increase to the number of advance polling stations, and approved an amendment to The Election Bylaw, 2012 to expand accessibility to mail-in ballots.
“We’re pleased to be able to provide eligible voters with a number of options to cast their ballots in this fall’s Civic Election, whether it’s by mail-in ballot, advanced poll or in-person on election day November 9,” says Scott Bastian, Returning Officer.
- Changes to The Election Bylaw, 2012:
- All eligible voters will be able to request a mail-in ballot, regardless of circumstances.
- The requirements for the mail-in ballot application witnesses criteria has been expanded to anyone who is an eligible voter in the municipal election.
- The election team is currently finalizing plans to implement the City’s first ever drive thru advance poll voting option, located in the north-end of Saskatoon.
- Advanced polls will be increased over the 2016 election with a total of 11 advanced poll locations available between October 30 and November 5.
- Sixty-six polling stations will be open (one in each neighbourhood as reasonably practical) on election day November 9.
Eligible voters can apply online for a mail-in ballot by visiting saskatoon.ca/mailballot. Mail-in ballots must be received at the election office on November 9 by 8:00 p.m.