You are here

City recovers more fraud scheme funds

For immediate release: October 18, 2019 - 11:25am
CF19-790

The City of Saskatoon has now recovered just over two thirds or nearly $700 thousand of the City’s money that was directed to a fraudster’s bank account in August 2019 through a fraud scheme – that’s roughly $300 thousand more than last month’s update.

“We recognize and are thankful for the efforts expended by multiple parties in order to recover these funds and look forward to further recovery in the coming weeks,” says City Manager Jeff Jorgenson.

Jorgenson says the next court hearing on this matter is scheduled for November 5, 2019, in Toronto.

“As we continue our work with investigators, banks and our legal team in Ontario, we’re optimistic that the remaining funds that are still frozen in several bank accounts will soon be returned to the City.”

Jorgenson anticipates an update report on the findings of the internal investigation will be provided to City Council and the public likely in November or December of 2019. 

A fraudster obtained $1.04 million in the scheme, and any money that has not been returned to the City has been identified, traced and locked down by the Court.

View related news releases on this matter on saskatoon.ca.