You are here

Fire prevention tips for post-secondary students

For immediate release: September 14, 2018 - 2:30pm

Students of many post-secondary college and university programs have resumed classes; many of these students are living away from home for the first time. The Saskatoon Fire Department knows what an exciting time this can be, but emphasizes the importance of finding and maintaining safe living accommodations.

Parents and students should familiarize themselves with fire safety advice for students living on their own:


  • Stay in the kitchen when cooking; always keep combustible materials away from the heat source.


  • If you choose to burn candles, keep them in a safe place away from combustible materials and where they won’t be knocked over. Remember to blow all candles out before leaving the room or going to sleep.


  • If you smoke, do so outside; always use large ashtrays and frequently empty them into metal containers.


  • Ensure all major appliances and electronics are plugged directly into an outlet. Never use an extension cord as a permanent solution.


  • Keep your belongings a safe distance from any heat source; this includes furnaces, space heaters, baseboard heaters, and fireplaces, among others. Ensure all doorways and windows are free of clutter, should you need to get out quickly.

Drugs and Alcohol

  • The consumption of drugs and/or alcohol can create an increased risk of starting a fire, especially when the proper care and attention is not given to the topics covered above.

It is also important to be mindful of the type of structure that you will be living in or if you will be living with other people, such as a roommate or a friend. Be sure that you are confident that the person you may be living with is also conscious of tips for living safely to minimize the risk of a fire occurring. Always have an escape plan for how you could safely get out of each room in the event of an emergency.

The Saskatoon Fire Department wishes everyone a safe and enjoyable school year.

 In an emergency, call 911 immediately.