The City extends a big thank you to Harry Bailey Aquatic Centre patrons for their support as the final day of operation approaches.
Harry Bailey Aquatic Centre is scheduled to undergo a major upgrade and facility closure. The facility will be open to the public until March 31, 2023 and the project is expected to take approximately 18 to 24 months to complete.
Harry Bailey Aquatic Centre was built in 1975 and many of the components are nearing the end of their functional life.
The project will include replacement and upgrades to the facility along with exciting new spaces, such as:
- Accessibility and inclusivity improvements to ensure the building and its features will be a welcoming space for the entire community.
- Replacement of the 50-metre pool basin as well as a revised pool deck with new tile to better meet swimming and user group requirements for training.
- Changeroom and washroom renovation and expansion to better serve customers and families.
- New public use spaces such as meeting and multi-purpose rooms to provide additional program opportunities.
- Revised and updated weight room for an enhanced and expanded workout experience.
- Water treatment and building mechanical system upgrades for improved efficiency.
- Roof and exterior upgrades including vapor barrier and wall insulation to increase energy efficiency and air quality.
- Administration offices will see significant upgrades and changes.
The total estimated project cost is $18-24 million with a significant contribution from the federal government’s Green and Inclusive Community Building program (more than $10 million) and the remainder from the Civic Buildings Comprehensive Maintenance, a reserve set aside for the ongoing maintenance and upgrade of City facilities.
The same programs and services will continue to be available at the other five Leisure Centres (Cosmo, Lakewood and Lawson Civic Centres, Saskatoon Field House and Shaw Centre) and where possible, programming opportunities have been expanded at the facilities. Search for drop-in program information including facility, fitness and weight room hours, public swim sessions and fitness programs on Leisure Online at saskatoon.ca/leisureonline
Harry Bailey Aquatic Centre has provided over 40 years of service to the residents and visitors of Saskatoon and this renovation will allow it to provide another 40 years. To learn more about the project, visit saskatoon.ca/harrybailey. Project updates including renderings of the new facility and photos of the progress will be posted throughout the closure.