Recycle better in your ugly sweater! City launches new holiday waste reduction and diversion campaign
The City of Saskatoon has just launched its new Recycle Better in your Ugly Sweater campaign that encourages residents to keep waste reduction and diversion top of mind during the holiday season.
“Gifts, wrapping material, decorations, celebrations, and festive feasts can all result in a significant amount of waste over the holiday season, so we have to find opportunities to cut down on that waste and to effectively divert it from our landfill,” says Amber Weckworth, Education and Environmental Performance Manager, Utilities & Environment. “Our effort is to educate residents about all the ways they can cut down on their holiday waste in a fun and festive way.”
Here are some of the tips that the City will be promoting over the course of the campaign:
- Make memories by giving experiences over things
- Make homemade gifts out of old reusable material
- Regift old or unused items that might still bring joy to others
- Reuse or pass down your old decorations
- Skip the fancy wrapping and reuse paper, ribbons, bows, and bags
- Wrap gifts with newsprint and other unique material
- Reduce food waste by planning meals efficiently
- Take large or excess recycling to a City Recycling Depot, but please don’t overfill them
- Recycle your live Christmas Tree at a City drop-off site from December 26 to January 31
- Get the ‘how-to’ on holiday waste diversion by asking the Waste Wizard
Residents are also reminded of the following important waste information over the holiday season:
- Don’t miss pick-up day!
- Check your Collection Calendar or download the Saskatoon Recycle & Waste app and never miss pick-up day again
- Holiday Collections Reminder: December 25 garbage and recycling collections will happen on December 28. January 1 collections will happen on January 4
- Spread some joy by helping your neighbours roll out their carts
- The City Landfill will be closed December 25 and January 1
- Cut down on emissions by carpooling with friends and family, or get your ‘shop on’ and hop on the Jingle Bell Express for quick access to all the malls in Saskatoon
For more information and tips on holiday waste reduction and diversion visit saskatoon.ca/holidayrecycling.