The City of Saskatoon maintains an inventory of land suitable for industrial use. Due to the unique nature of each property, interested parties should email us to discuss specific information.
Purchasing Industrial Lots & Submitting Tenders
The City of Saskatoon tenders all new industrial property. Requests for tender packages may be made to Saskatoon Land, 201-3rd Avenue North, Saskatoon, SK S7K 2H7. Current tender packages will also be made available via Land Development on this website. Land that is not sold through the tendering process is sold over the counter on a first-come first-served basis.
Terms of Sale
The terms of sale of industrial property are approved by City Council.
There are three alternatives to purchase industrial property:
1. Outright Purchase
Upon payment of full purchase price by the purchaser, the City will transfer the title.
2. Option to Purchase
Prospective purchasers may enter into an Option to Purchase Agreement under the following terms:
Allowable Time of Option
The maximum time allowed is six months.
Required Option Fee
The option fee shall be 2% of the selling price of the lot optioned, plus GST, payable in advance. In the event an option is exercised within the option period, the option fee shall be credited to the purchase price of the lot. If the option is not exercised the option fee is forfeited.
No right of possession accompanies an option. An optionee may, with permission from Saskatoon Land, enter the property to conduct certain soil tests or other examinations for the purpose of planning their construction.
An option may be assigned with the permission of the City of Saskatoon, Saskatoon Land.
Exercising an Option
The optionee may only exercise an option within the allowable time of the option. The option may be exercised by notice in writing accompanied by full payment of the balance of the purchase price.
Transfer of Title
In order to receive a Transfer of Title, the purchaser must provide full payment and any applicable right-of-possession charges.
3. Leasing Of Property
The City of Saskatoon will consider proposals to lease industrial land, subject to City Council approval, under the following terms and conditions.
a) Short Term Lease
- term of lease can be up to 1 year
- lease rate is based on a percentage applied to the selling price of the serviced land and may vary depending on current market conditions
- lessee is responsible for property taxes levied against the property during the term of the lease
- no permanent construction is permitted on the land.
- all lease payments are subject to GST.
- must have general liability insurance in the amount of $2,000,000 with the City as a named insured and provide proof each year.
b) Industrial Incentive Program - Long Term Lease
- availability shall be all City-owned industrial land available for sale over-the-counter, with the exception of land tendered under the Tax Enforcement Act.
- the tenant must commit to improvements and such improvements must be consistent with the nature of the tenant's operations
- the lease rate will be adjusted after 10 years and every 5 years thereafter
- must have general liability insurance in the amount of $2,000,000 with the City as a named insured and provide proof each year
- lessee will have the option to purchase the property at any time during the term of the lease at a price equivalent to the selling price in effect at the time the lease agreement was entered into
- permanent construction is permitted on the land
- lessee is responsible for all local government taxes (property and business)
- lease rate is based on a percentage applied to the selling price of the serviced land
- term of 15 years with an option to renew for an additional 5 years
Only those properties that have complete services (i.e. sewers, water, utilities, curbs, and at least a gravel-based road with paving to be provided within a reasonable period) are available for sale. The Purchaser is responsible for all private connections into the lot.
Lot prices are calculated using prices for land and services as approved by City Council. All lot prices are subject to Goods and Services Tax (GST). See attached list for current prices and map for location.
Transfer of Title
The Transfer Authorization will be issued upon receipt of payment in full, and will be forwarded to the purchaser's solicitor.
Property taxes will be adjusted in accordance with the possession date.
Landscaping in Industrial Areas
Landscaping information may be required when applying for a building permit. For further information, please contact the Planning and Development Branch of the Community Services Department at 306-975-2645.
Parcels On Hold
A lot may be put "on hold" for two weeks. View the Procedure for Putting a Parcel on Hold for more information.