PotashCorp Playland at Kinsmen Park
Celebrate the magic of play at Saskatoon’s newly renovated PotashCorp Playland at Kinsmen Park. It is scheduled to reopen August 5 with three star attractions, sure to delight children and adults alike.
The bright lights of the ferris wheel will be a cheery hallmark of the downtown skyline, with riders soaring high above the city. The original carousel animals are all spiffed up and ready to delight. It may seem like just a ride, but a twirl around the carousel can stay with you for a lifetime.
Hop on for a whistle-stop tour aboard the Canpotex Train - a park favourite. Complete with locomotive, caboose and plenty of seating, the replica modern-day freight train follows the original racetrack route around the park. Gather at the plaza for a treat from the concession or to follow the pathways around Playland.
Learn, laugh and explore in the children’s play area, set in a beautiful stand of trees. Climb the pyramid tower, ride the hill slide or rock in the huge saucer swings - there is plenty of room to run here. Have a splash while working the pumps, troughs, valves and sprayers in the water area. The sand play is a hit with tons of fun waiting. Try the double cable ride, log climber and dome mountain. With so many beautiful trees, rocks and natural features, you may forget you are in the city centre! The play area is always open and there are no admission fees.
This delightful attraction at the heart of Saskatoon is possible thanks to the generous support from PotashCorp, Canpotex and Canadian Pacific.
Parking is available at the PotashCorp Playland at Kinsmen Park Parking Lot, the Mendel site, and north of the YWCA (off Kinsmen Avenue).
Curious about what is going on behind the construction fencing? Get a sneak peek into the very exciting behind-the-scenes work going on to rejuvenate the park.
Milestones & Moments
- Summer 2015: Phase One of Kinsmen Park will be opening.
- Summer 2014: Groundwork for the Canpotex Train began in April and will continue throughout the summer. The train is currently being constructed at Arizona Railroad Depot in Phoenix, Arizona, and is scheduled for delivery in early 2015.
- June 25, 2014 - Canpotex and Canadian Pacific (CP)announced funding for the new Canpotex Train.
- Spring 2014: Construction began.
- August 7, 2013 - PotashCorp announced an additional contribution of $2.5 Million towards the rejuvenation of Kinsmen Park, supplementing their original contribution of $5 Million donated in 2010. This contribution will go towards Phase One plans to develop the Future home of PotashCorp Playland at Kinsmen Park.
- December, 2011 - The Kinsmen Park and Area Master Plan was approved by City Council and set forth a 25 year improvement process for the rejuvenation and redesign of the park. The primary vision of the Master Plan is to "create a place-specific, memorable environment that is enjoyable for all ages, with a special focus on Children’s activities".
Project Contact Information
Chelsie Schafer, Open Space Consultant