Cynthia Block is a graduate of the University of Saskatchewan, and has a background in media and communications. She has had a life-long interest in public policy, and a strong preference to use evidence and data to drive decision-making. On Council, her priority issues include basic services, sustainability, indigenous reconciliation and downtown revitalization.
Cynthia would like City Council to focus on a longer time horizon in decision-making. Through partnerships with other levels of government, business, industry, community groups, residents and organizations in the surrounding geographical area, we have an opportunity to build a more modern, progressive and sustainable 21st century City.
Cynthia and her husband have made their home in Ward 6 for the past 25 years. They have two young adults attending the University of Saskatchewan, and they can often be seen on the spectacular Meewasin trail with their shepherd-cross, Belle.
City of Saskatoon Boards & Committees:
- Governance and Priorities Committee
- Standing Policy Committees: Finance, Transportation
- Boards: Broadway Business Improvement District, Downtown Business Improvement District, Remai Modern, Saskatoon Gallery & Conservatory Corporation Board of Trustees
- Committees: Municipal Heritage Advisory Committee, Albert Community Centre, Marr Residence
Cynthia is leading Council's strategic priority area of Downtown Development to create the conditions to bring more people, jobs, stores, restaurants and amenities into the downtown. The sign of a thriving City is a vibrant downtown. City Council will work to ensure the heart of the City remains strong and attractive into the future.
Other Board & Committee Experience:
- Board Work: YMCA, YWCA, Saskatchewan Brain Injury Association
- Committee Work: Inter-Provincial Association on Native Employment, Youth Soccer
- Civic Events: Lieutenant Governor's Centennial Arts Celebration, CIS University Cup (National Men's Hockey Championship), Riderville North 101st Grey Cup