Darren Hill was born in Saskatoon, raised in Sonningdale, Saskatchewan, and attended the University of Saskatchewan. A long-time resident of Ward 1, Darren has lived in Saskatoon for over 30 years in Sutherland, Mayfair, and North Park; he currently resides with his family in City Park.
Darren has played an active role on his local Community Association and community initiatives, including his family’s involvement in the Community Garden.
Darren is honoured to hold the position as Chief Executive Officer and President of Junior Achievement of Saskatchewan (JA), where he encourages young minds to pursue interests in the areas of entrepreneurship and business, and develop life and leadership skills.
Previous to his appointment at JA, Darren had over 20 years of experience as an entrepreneur, marketing manager and advertising executive in the tourism and communications sectors. Darren was responsible for local, national and international marketing campaigns, media buying, corporate communications and public relations.
As an entrepreneur, Darren was instrumental in establishing an expediting service to tourist destinations in northern Saskatchewan. For over 22 years Darren developed a supply and shipping network, expanded the clientele base and managed operations. The company continues to be successful, employing full time staff during the fishing season.
Darren’s mandate is to have a responsive council - one committed to advancing Saskatoon as a leader in environmental initiatives, social programming, economic development, cultural relations, and responsible and safe policing.
City of Saskatoon Boards and Committees:
- Chair, Standing Policy Committee on Planning Development & Community Services
- Standing Policy Committee on Environment, Utilities & Corporate Services
- Budget Committee
- Governance and Priorities Committee
- Saskatoon's Board of Police Commissioners
- Saskatoon Police Pension Plan Board of Trustees
- Former member, Standing Policy Committee on Transportation
Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM) National Board of Directors:
- Vice Chair, Standing Committee on Increasing Women's Participation in Municipal Governance
- Standing Committee on International Relations
- Standing Committee on Community Safety and Crime Prevention
- Standing Committee on Environmental Issues and Sustainable Development
- Standing Committee on Conference Planning
- Prairies and Territories Caucus
- National Task Force on Syrian Refugee Resettlement
- Federation Canadian Municipalities / Correctional Service Canada / Parole Board Canada / Public Safety Canada Joint Committee on Community Corrections
Saskatchewan Urban Municipalities Association (SUMA) Board of Directors:
- Standing Committee on Community and Economic Development
- Standing Committee on Advocacy Initiatives Committee
- Standing Committee on Resolutions
- Standing Committee on Convention Planning
- Junior Achievement (JA) Saskatchewan Board of Directors
- SaskTel Centre Board of Directors
- 33rd Street Business Improvement District Board of Directors
Darren is leading Council’s strategic priority area of Economic Development by supporting strategic economic development strategies that will position Saskatoon to succeed in the 21st Century global economy. As the biggest city in a resource-based province, we are vulnerable to swings in commodity prices. City Council will work with business organizations, the University, and Indigenous and Immigrant Communities to further diversify by identifying strategic economic opportunities and fostering investment.
Other Board & Committee Experience:
- Saskatoon Regional Economic Development Authority (SREDA) Board of Directors
- Tourism Saskatoon
- Affinity Credit Union - District Council
- Aboriginal Financial Officers Association (AFOA) Board of Directors
- Meewasin Valley Authority Board of Directors
- Canadian Youth Business Foundation Review Committee
- Downtown Partnership Board of Directors
- Sutherland Business Improvement District Board of Directors