Thank you for participating in the options preference survey, which closed December 10, 2019. A comprehensive engagement report detailing the results of the survey will be posted on this page in the coming weeks.
Waste Diversion Strategy for Businesses and Organizations
- The Admin Report and all attachments can be found here.
- News Release
- Comprehensive Engagement Report
- ICI Waste Diversion Strategy
More information will be provided as it becomes available.
Hey Businesses and Organizations! Let's talk trash.
The City of Saskatoon is engaging with businesses and organizations in the community to look at ways to divert and reduce waste.
We Want to Talk About
- How you, private waste haulers, and the City can work together to divert recycling and organics
- What types of waste you are diverting now, how it’s working, and if there are challenges
- What materials will be part of the diversion requirements and how they are phased in
- What you need in order to be able to separate and divert recyclables and organics
- What proof of diversion the City might require
- Innovative ways to reduce waste or reuse materials locally
Engagement will inform the development of a waste diversion strategy for businesses and organizations. It will last approximately 6 months and will include the following phases:
|Engagement with associations, large institutions, haulers, and processors.|
|Workshops with generators (businesses and organizations), followed by integrated engagement with generators, associations, and haulers and processors.|
|Opportunity to review and provide feedback on a draft strategy.|
|A recommended strategy to Committee and City Council.|
|Ongoing engagement to inform implementation, including developing a stakeholder working group.|
What We've Heard So Far
Over the last several months we engaged with nearly 500 individuals representing a variety of businesses and organizations in Saskatoon. Through meetings, workshops, and an online survey, we gathered feedback and input on what would and wouldn't work for a mandatory recycling and organics program.
Here are some summaries of what we've heard through engagement: