You are here

Civic Square and Flag Raising

Civic Square

Civic Square is an area available to the public to gather in a peaceful and respectful manner.

The area can be booked at least five days in advance ( but no longer than 30 days ) using the online form below.  All applications must be completed in full and will be considered on a first come first serve basis. In the event there  is a  timing conflict, preference shall be given to community activities sponsored or supported by civic departments and agencies. 

Activities must not interfere with the public's access to Civic Square, and enjoyment of the surrounding grounds. This permit does not give the applicant exclusive use of either City Hall, or the adjacent grounds. Free public access is to be allowed to all areas of City Hall that are accessible during regular business hours. Vehicles are not to be driven on City Hall grounds, even when delivering supplies.

The granting of permission for the use of Civic Square in any year shall not be regarded as a commitment by the City to allow its use in future years. Any regularly scheduled event must supply new applications for future dates.

Flag Raising

When requesting a flag raising, City Council must be contacted initially for approval. Please complete this online form to be considered by Council. 

Please note, your request must be received no later than 12:00 p.m. on the Tuesday of the week preceding the Council meeting.   Please refer to the Council meeting schedule.

Clean up

Arrangements for clean-up are the responsibility of the applicant. Please supply your own garbage bags and paper products. Deposit garbage in the appropriate containers. If City of Saskatoon staff are required to do any clean-up associated with the event, the organizers will be charged.


The Communications Division may require event sponsors outside of the civic corporation to provide adequate liability insurance for the duration of the community activity.

The City of Saskatoon assumes no responsibility for any theft of property owned by organizations outside of the civic corporation.

A $2 million Third Party Liability insurance policy endorsed to show the City of Saskatoon as an additional insured, is required for events at which alcohol is served. Proof of insurance must be submitted to the Communications Division four (4) weeks prior to the event.


Noise Levels: The following noise guidelines for Civic Square events are intended to assist organizers in ensuring that noise from the event does not intrude unreasonably upon residents living adjacent to the area.

Reasonable sound checks or amplified sound/ music will be allowed only during the following hours:
Monday to Thursday 11:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Friday and Saturday 11:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Sunday 1:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Should your event occur outside of these hours, your organization must receive permission from City Council through its Standing Policy Committee on Environment, Utilities, and Corporate Services.  Please complete the online form  to be considered by the Committee.  Please note, your request must be received no later than 12:00 p.m. on the Tuesday of the week preceding the Standing Policy Committee on Environment, Utilities and Corporate Services meeting.  Please refer to the Committee meeting schedule.

Please read the  The Noise Bylaw.   For further information regarding a request to extend The Noise Bylaw, please contact the City Clerk’s Office at 306-975-3240.

Event Materials: Amplification Equipment

The provision of event materials, such as tables, chairs, and sound systems are the responsibility of the event organizers.

Amplification Equipment: Speaker systems are to be positioned in a manner that tilts them downward into the crowds attending the event (versus projecting over the crowd and park property).
• Event organizers are to direct their sound technicians to achieve a balanced range of sound in order that bass tones, irritating to the elderly, are minimized.
• The recommended noise level should not exceed 105 decibels, measured 100 feet from in front of the stage or location of the speaker system. The onus is on the event organizers to self-monitor.
• Event organizers shall designate a responsible individual who is available by phone on a 24-hour basis, and who has the authority to respond appropriately to complaints regarding the event. Complainants wishing to contact the event organizer directly may be given the contact name and phone number.

The City reserves the right to require that the event organizer and/or sound contractor reduce public address system sound levels if these are found to be excessive (e.g. causing undue public complaint, unreasonably interfering withadjacent users, or exceeding noise bylaw limits, etc.).


A temporary Food Service License is required if food/beverages will be served. For information regarding temporary food service standards or how to apply, please contact the Saskatoon Health  Region at 306-655-4605.


For any anticipated electrical requirements, please call 306-975-3298. In addition, should you require street power on 23rd Street for halogen flood-lamps and/or light stands, please call 306-975-2619. The power outlets in Civic Square will be available for your use. Please note that inclement weather may
cause the outlets to fail. If an outlet isn't functioning, check to see if other outlets in the same area are working.

Street Closures

For information regarding street closures, meter bagging or for the use of sandbags, please contact the Roadways Activity Coordinator at  306-657-8522. The Coordinator will inform Saskatoon Transit, Saskatoon Police Service and the Saskatoon Fire Department of your event.


It is not permitted to set up tents or temporary shelters on any grassy areas around City Hall. Tents may be set up in Civic Square, however, they must be held in place with the use of sand bags or other heavy objects rather than anchoring them into the ground or cement.


Online Form: Book Civic Square for an Event

1 Start 2 Secondary Contact Information 3 Event 4 About the Event 5 Complete
Contact Information

Please note that the information supplied within this form will be deemed public information.